Posted at 11:38 am , on November 19, 2017
Posted at 11:37 am , on November 19, 2017
Asia, Middle East News Briefs to be read in two minutes or less.
- China and North Korea officials enter new peninsula talks.
- U. S. destroyer collides with tug in Japanese waters.
- China military sets up station to counteract fake news.
- Delhi smog levels significantly drop, but continue at danger level.
- Cambodian Pres. Hon Sen tells U. S. to cut all aid to his country.
- 5.6 sizemic earthquake rocks remote area in Nepal.
- 6.8 earthquake hit Tibet in remote area.
- Myanmar, Bangladesh set to resolve Rakhine crisis next week.
- Taliban attack on Afghan prison frees over thirty supporters.
- 19 arrested in Sar Lanka during Buddhist – Muslim clashes.
- Pres. Duterte to turnover drug war leadership back to police.
- Washington DC closes Palestinian offices in capital over broken rules.
- Palestine officials freeze ties with U. S., claim no wrong doing.
- Russia again vetoes U.N. probe into Syrian poison gas attack.
- Egypt opens border with Gaze for three days under new deal.
- Efforts intensify to locate missing Argentinian submarine, 44 aboard.
- Reportedly failed signals detected from lost sub’s last location.
- 1.4 trillon U. S. tax cut bill passes House and is headed for Senate.
- U.S. Nuclear Chief says would resist unlawful Pres. orders to launch.
- Indian supermodel wins 2017 Miss Universe Beauty Crown.
(News item gleaned from Channel.newasia and BBC)
All the Best to you.
Posted at 1:23 am , on November 16, 2017
Posted at 1:14 am , on November 16, 2017
As written to friends a few days ago, I have visited very near the Korean demilitarization area a hundred times and taken it into account. Marketing was my position then, and once managed the First Cavalry Division’s headquarters post exchange for a brief time, so it would have been a lot more than merely a hundred. Actually though it was only a few times to visit the Panmounjom’s conference center and gaze over the border onto North Korea’s propaganda model village in the distance, and to hear the blaring laud speakers disseminating the communist party line.
It is a very brave and dangerous attempt to traverse the heavily guarded DMZ itself. The soldier was shot five times and badly wounded during his escape, and as I write is in ICU on life support. I wonder why he endangered himself so foolishly to escape the ‘Worker’s Paradise’ ?
There is a story here, but only one of many. There have been hundreds, perhaps thousands, of attempts for decades to cross over the DMZ to freedom by those who stepped on landmines, were captured or were shot dead. One never hears of those. What will happen to this soldier’s family and friends? By this time they are all in prison or dead. There is not much doubt or wonderment about that one.
All the best to you.
Posted at 2:20 pm , on November 14, 2017
Posted at 2:06 pm , on November 14, 2017
Asia, Middle East, U. S. News Brief to be read in two minutes or less.
- Trump ends five nation Asian tour returns to White House to put out fires.
- U. S. Senate takes up tax relief bill as Wall Street jidders over delay.
- Senate candidate Moore under suspicion of molesting 14-16 year old girls.
- ASIAN talks lead to compromise over China Sea territorial claims.
- China angered over U. S accusations of material trade dumping.
- North Korean defector crosses DMZ is shot five times during escape.
- Deli, India parents concerned over severe toxic smog as schools open.
- Myanmar army denies Rohingya atrocities occurred, U. N. says otherwise.
- Iran say 452 earthquake victims dead, thousands injured, 6,000 homeless.
- Iran battles needs to shelter victims asks for U. N. aid assistance.
- Kurdish independence claims bow to Iranian court decision.
- Russia, Turkey in discussion over term for the future of Syria.
- U. K’s Teresa May accuses Putin’s Russia of election meddling.
- Indonesia arrests Jihad suspect who volunteer for Mawai, Philippines.
- Egypt in deal to buy 24 bombardier aircraft.
- Heavy rains batter Jakarta second day.
- Sperm whales stranded on Indonesia beach die.
- Domino tests self-driving pizza delivery vehicle.
(New items taken from channel.newsasia, BBC, and CNN)
All the Best to you.
Posted at 1:41 pm , on November 12, 2017
Asia, Middle East, U. S. News Briefs to be read in two minutes or less
Trump, Putin meet at Asian economic summit, discuss N. Korea, trade.
Trump says he feels Russia is not to blame for 2016 election meddling.
The FBI, NSA, CIA, DHS and other security agencies say differently.
Trump offers to mediate China South Seas dispute.
Trump states U. S wants pease through strength not war.
Trump tell Vietnamese to buy more U. S. made goods.
- Trump wants Asian nations to get tough on North Korean sanctions.
- Chinese banks stop dealing business with North Korean firms.
- Trump arrives in Philippines amid Manila anti Trump protests.
- Duarte greets Trump, spotlight on drug war and Rus arms purchase.
- North Korea says ‘We will never allow the U. S. to dictate our policies’.
- Eleven Asian nations sign trade pack without U. S. participation.
- Largest Japanese ships join three U. S. aircraft carriers in drills.
- Myanmar rebuffs U. N. claims of Rohingya ethnic cleansing.
- Myanmar says U. N. criticism could set back repatriation.
- Reportedly 630,000 Rohingya remain in Myanmar.
- U. S. lawmakers appear to favor Iran nuclear deal as is.
- U. S. Senate candidate Roy Moore is accused of sex violation with teen.
- G.O.P senate candidate denies involvement, rejects story as untrue.
- Puerto Rico remains with 60 percent of its population without power.
- Iran tell French President Micron, nuclear deal not negotiable.
- Israel says it shot down Syrian drone over Golan occupied land.
- Syrian army retakes Albu Kamel as ICIC still kicking.
- Saudi Arabia lifts embargo on Yemen ports to ward of famine.
- Indonesia removes waxwork statue of Hitler from museum.
- China’s retailer Alibaba hits one day sales record of $25 Billion.
(News taken from Channel.newasia, BBC, RT, and France 24)
All the Best to you.
Posted at 10:43 am , on November 7, 2017
Asia, Middle East, U. S. News briefs to be read in two minutes or less.
- Trump in South Korea for talks with President Moon.
- Trump team, no plans to visit DMZ during peak nuclear crisis.
- Trump urges North Korea to come to the negotiation table.
- Will advance anti missile technology prevent war with North?
- Southern Philippines on hunt for new ISIS Emir.
- Philippines wary of Chinese dredge entering its waters.
- Indonesian anti terrorist team arrives Philippines for drills.
- Indonesian Speaker of the House involved in corruption suit.
- In central Vietnam typhoon Damrey death toll rises to 49.
- China urges France to ensure security of Chinese citizens.
- Pakistan diplomat slain is Kabul, Afghanistan.
- Taliban gunmen storm main Kabul TV station, three dead.
- Saudi Arabia responds to Yemen missile attack with airstrikes.
- Dozens of Saudi royals, directors jailed await corruption trials.
- Texas church massacre suspect killed 26 had family issues.
- Female patient flees Egypt to become a man.
(News items gleaned from Channel.newsasia, and BBC)
Within these briefs there is always an item or two you’ve missed.
All the Best to you.
Posted at 2:12 am , on November 6, 2017
Asia, Middle East, U. S. News Briefs to be read in two minutes or less.
- Twelve Saudi princes among dozens detained in anti-corruption probe.
- Missile launch from Yemen intercepted north of Saudi Capital Riyadh.
- Trump in Japan on way to South Korea, China, Vietnam, Philippines.
- Trump asks Putin to meet in Asia shortly to discuss North Korea.
- Trump pitches 2 trillion-dollar oil float for ARAMCO stock exchange.
- U. S. Job forecast for October below expectations.
- At least 26 killed and 20 injured in Texas church shooting.
- Former President Bush senior calls Trump ‘blowhard’ voted for Clinton.
- Explosive MLK documents revealed in second batch of J FK release.
- White House downplays government climate change report.
- U. N. asks Myanmar to prepare for return of 600,000 Rohingya.
- Iraq, Syria, armies recapture and oust ISIS from two major strongholds.
- Suicide bomber kills 28 and injures dozens in southern Syrian city.
- Thousand of Iranians stage anti-Trump demonstration in Tehran.
- Iranian missile displayed at former U. S. embassy.
- Thousand march in Seoul, Korea protest against coming Trump visit.
- Philippines investigating possible North Korean cyber attack.
- ISIS is gaining ground in southern Philippines islands. (Gov. report)
- 28 dead dozens missing as typhoon Dimrey slams central Vietnam.
(News gleaned from channel.newsasia.com, BBC and CNN)
This is second submission, first lost in the fog of conflict.
All the best to you.
Posted at 3:30 pm , on November 3, 2017